Monday, February 6, 2012

Hart Davidson Design

Here is the run down of a project I just recently finished for Leslie Hart Davidson of Hart Davidson Design.  She is an interior designer based in Williamston, Michigan.  My mother-in-law, Chantelle, landed me the contract to build the HDD logo as a metal light up sign through her store which is also in Williamston, Bungalow 47.  With the help of Brian and Chantelle the order was completed in one week.  Just in time for the Lansing Women's Expo.  


www.designisademocracy.com
www.bungalow47.com




First step: Make a cardboard template of the face of the letter.


Second step: Cut out the letter by tracing the template with a plasma cutter.  The metal I am using here is a galvanized sheet of mild steel.  I believe its 20 gauge.  I am not sure who is responsible, but every few weeks a couple of pallets of it shows up at Padnos scrap yard.  At Padnos its better to be lucky than good.



Third step:  Cut four inch strips to be tack welded to the faces of the letter making them three dimensional.  This is the step of the process where careful fitting and patience is important.  Producing straight cuts with good edges makes this step easier.


Fourth step:  If the customer requests, construct stands for the letters to be displayed on.  These stands were made from threaded conduit from Home Depot and heavy steel plate that was purchased from Padnos, where I love to shop for metal stock of all kinds.


Fifth step:  This is the home stretch, if requested drill evenly spaced holes for the light bulbs in the face of the letter.  I use a sheet metal drill bit in my Milwaukee cordless drill.  Depending on where the letter or group of letters is going I wire up plugs and/or extension cords.


This particular logo has a dragonfly postitioned behind the letters.  The construction of this masterpiece was handled by my father-in-law Brian.  It was built with MDF and white oak.  For travel it unbolts in manageable sections.  Chantelle painted it to match the logo.

My favorite part of a job like this is standing back and ENJOYING THE GLOW!








2 comments:

  1. You need to demonstrate the watcher polished methodology when giving over your meeting card with your organization's logo on it. logo design service

    ReplyDelete